What We're All About

CU Students have teamed together this year to learn through exploration how to manipulate many different instructional technologies. In time we hope to branch out and share our knowledge with other educators and peers.
We'd like to serve as a resource to our fellow future educators and professors of Education who would like to put that SmartBoard to use in their classroom, or learn how to use podcasts in the classroom as tools for parent involvement or student assessments. The possibilities are endless!
Love,
Your local Clemson Geek Squad

2.11.2008

Virtual Museums

After having my socks blown off by how easy and impressive the virtual museums are, I decided to use it with my 2nd graders this week. We are studying the regions of the United States (tied in with tall tales). I figured, "If you can't be there in person, what better way to see New England than to take a virtual tour of it, right?!" I was so pumped...

And then the lesson crashed and burned.

The students were so bored. It really felt like I was taking highschool students through a museum that they had no desire to tour. It didn't matter that there were cool links throughout the powerpoint. It didn't matter that I had spent over an hour looking for interesting photos that captured the essence of New England.

Come to find out, some of my second graders have never even been to a museum in their lives.

Why would they be interested to tour a virtual museum when they have never even seen a been in a real museum before. I'm realizing that 2nd graders need hands-on activities along with photos, but what activities exactly?

I'm not going to give up on using the virtual museums though. Our next region is the southeast. Does anyone have any suggestions how I can help the children take ownership of these museums as we tour them?

No comments: